I think that my appointment yesterday with Dr. E was a waste of time. On the plus side, I arrived early, and got called in right away...by Dr E himself. This meant that I didn't need to see the nasty nurse!
While he isn't refusing to prescribe Rebif, he is highly suggesting that I switch to a different drug. The reason for this is that although he does not have to test my lipase or my platelets, when the high numbers crossed his desk, he must investigate. Since a conversation that he had with my GP provided no further insight in to these mysterious levels, he must assume that the Rebif is the culprit. Elevated lipase is not usually an issue with Rebif (that's why he wouldn't test it under normal circumstances) but documentation does show that it CAN become an issue.
I don't feel that I left his office with any clear cut decisions, and I don't think that he feels that any decisions were made either. I mentioned that I would like to wait until after my tests in December, as this could provide us with some answers. We also discussed the option of a "drug holiday" (two weeks with no drug, but the potential of a relapse). We talked about Copaxone, and why I won't return to it (welts!). And he talked about Avonex (once a week, self-injected intra-muscular injections)...and as a last resort, Betaseron (another beta-interferon like Rebif). He wants me to make educated decisions.
In the meantime, he has sent a referral to a gastrointerologist for me.
I think that I should host an open house for all medical specialties...come and check me out...coffee and cake will be served!